Welcome to my Psychology Guide
This is where you learn how mindblowing psychology is. It's the view of the world through a professionals eyes. Psychology allows you to understand the mindset of of others in the world. It also explains the decision making process of everyone, set for every indivisdual. Psychology is the study of people's behavior, performance, and mental operation. It refers to the application of the knowledge, which can be used to understand events, treat mental health issues, and improve education, employment, and relationships. There are many examples of how psychology helps people all over the world.
Forensic Psychology is important for different reasons. It is used for criminology, mostly. It can be used in court as an expert witness, reformulating psychological findings into the legal language of the courtroom. It also deals with many different things, such as:
- Mental illnesses. These include clinical depression, anxiety disorder, dementia, bipolar disorder, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder,schizophrenia, and more.
- Forensic Psychology can find its way into a courtroom, especially when one the individual being tried needs a psychological assessment. Thus, the psychologist should have solid clinical skills. These skills include verbal communications skills, case presentation, clinical assessment, interviewing, report writing. These skills are the foundation of psychology.
- These skills help with child custody evaluations, threat assessments for schools, competency evaluations of criminal defendants and the elderly, counseling services to victims in a crime, and death notification procedure. Of course, these are not the end of the many services that psychologists can provide during a case, and when they are not on a case.
- Also, psychologists have the ability to provide the police with profiles while on a case. For example, the show Criminal Minds uses men and women called profilers to catch an UNSUB (Unknown Subject). The profilers build a profile to fit one particular person and build a case with all the evidence upon it.
Secondly, Counseling Psychology is another important and interesting branch of psychology. It can be used to facilitate personal and interpersonal functioning across the life span. It is for all ages too!
- The specialty pays close attention to things such as emotional, social, vocational, educational, etc., according to the Society of Counseling Psychology.
- The conversations that are held are held deal with prevention, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of clients with mental health disorders.
- Program development is also apart of Counseling Psychology.
- Also, according to the Society of Counseling Psychology, counseling psychologists consult regularly with organizations seeking to enhance their effectiveness or the well being of their members.
- Counseling Psychologists view clients through a non-pathologizing magnifyer, they see things through a developmental perspective, and they even offer interventions. They try and see if the environment has any effect on the client at hand, and take multiculturality into consideration. They encourage the people and even offer vocational counseling when the clients want it.
- Fun fact:Counseling is as recent as 1940. It was only 1946 when division 17 - Society of Psychology was founded. By then, theories about vocational choice had begun and people had led a revolution on Mental Hygien!
Futhermore, Industrial/Organisational Psychology is also important. It sounds weird, but it is important. It is the psychology of behavior of employees in a workplace. From the outside, a business may appear lucritive and successful. However, successful businesses depend on the behaviors of the work space and community. How well the coworkers communicate, employees who are motivated and encouraged, and even the a business that makes good product can be factors of Industrial/Orginasational Psychology.
- Psychologists would apply the the scientific study of human behavior in a workplce to solve the problems in an organization.
- According to the American Psychological Association, in order to become an Industrial Psychologist requires specialized skills. Industrial Psychology requires the in-depth knowledge of organisational development, attitude, career development, decision theory, human performance and human factors, consumer behavior, small group theory and process, criterion theory and development, job and task analysis and individual assessment.
- Furthermore, organisational psychology requires knowledge of of ethical considerations including statutory, adinistrative, and case law as related to the workplace.
- Industrial Organisational Psycholgy addresses problems such as: issues in recruitment, selection and placement, training and development, performance measurement, workplace motivation and reward system, etc. as stated by the American Psychological Association.
- There are many procedures and techniques to assess the three prime work systems of a worker. These include te work itself, the worker, and the work context.
Last but not least, Clinical Neuropsychology. This has to be the most important one of all. It is mostly what is sounds like. Clinical Neuropsychology includes having to understand the cognitive, emotional, and behavioral effects of a wide range of conditions. It takes training, dedication, and a strong willed person to go into a field such as Clnical Neuropsychology.
- Clinical Neuropsychology is the, "professional psychology that applies principles of assessment and intervention based upon the study of human behavior as it relates to the normal and abnormal functioning of the central nervous system", according to the American Psychology Association.
- The conditions that are to be understood through cognitive, emotional, and behavioral effects include:
- Becoming a Clinical Neuropsychologist allows you to trat an individual and take into account their personalities and traits.
- Neuropsychology has no age limit! Psychologists can treat anyone of any age range. For example, pediatrics treat children and adolescents.
- Neuropsyhoogists should have specialized knowledge of neuroanatomy, neuroscience, brain development, neurological disorders and etiologies, and more.
- Preperation in Clincal Neuropsychologists starts at a doctoral level and the training is completed at the postdoctoral level.
- Cinical Neuropsychology addresses problems related to developmental disorders of the nervous system.
- Most disorders ranging from dementia to learning disabilities are included in this study.